Cataloochee Merit Badge Midway 2020
Cataloochee District Merit Badge Midway
Read information before registering
Registration is Now Closed
When: Saturday, January 25, 2020
In order for a Scout to attend, registration with payment must be completed online by 12 noon on Wednesday, January 22, 2020.
Adult leader training is listed at the bottom of this page.
Check-in: 8:00 am to 8:45 am
Merit Badge sessions: 9:00 am to noon and 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm
Cost: $8.00 per Scout includes patch (plus $6.00 for Lunch if you choose it). This $8 fee is for the entire Midway whether taking one or two merit badges.
Registration: Registration can only be made online and is not valid unless payment is included. Early registration is suggested to insure Scouts get the merit badge session(s) they want. As merit badge sessions fill up they will be taken offline.
Time Blocks: Time Blocks are in 1-hour periods. Please pay close attention when registering for classes to the following: Block 1 is from 9am-10am. Block 2 is from 10am-11am. Block 3 is from 11am-12pm. Block 4 is from 1pm-2pm. Block 5 is from 2pm-3pm. Block 6 is from 3pm-4pm.
Where: Southwestern Community College, Sylva, NC
Check-in at the first floor lobby of the Burrell Building.
All merit badge sessions will be in the Burrell Building.
Adult leader training will also be in the Burrell Building (see course offerings at the bottom of this page).
The official address of Southwestern Community College is 447 College Drive, Sylva. However, the Burrell Building is on Success Drive. Directions to the campus are at:
A detailed map of the campus is at: https://www.southwesterncc.edu/sites/default/files/jackson%20map%20with%20callbox%202017.pdf
What: The Merit Badges listed below are to be offered. Please note the maximum class size listed by each badge. Attendance is on a first come first serve basis. To attend you must register with payment and select the Merit Badge(s) you will work on. Scouts should read the Merit Badge pamphlet before the Midway. Scouts should be aware that many of Merit Badges will be partials. Most of the requirements that must be accomplished outside of the Midway sessions are listed below.
- American Heritage – 3 hours with a maximum of 8 Scouts – offered once. Requirements 1, 3.b, 4.a, 5.c and 6 will be covered. The remaining requirements must be completed before or after the Midway. If done before, bring notes and be prepared to discuss them. Also if done before contact Counselor, Mr. Luther Jones at email@example.com or 828-226-6011 for permission on requirement 2 items.
- Bird Study – 3 hours with a maximum of 8 Scouts – offered once. If you have binoculars and a bird book, bring them.
- Citizenship in the Nation – 3 hours with a maximum of 8 Scouts - offered twice. Requirements 2, 3 and 8 must be completed before or after the Midway. If you complete Requirements 2 and 3 before the Midway be prepared to discuss them. If you complete requirement 8 before the Midway bring a copy of your letter or email and any reply you have received.
- Citizenship in the World – 3 hours with a maximum of 16 Scouts – offered twice. Bring a note from a teacher, parent or Scout leader verifying you have completed requirement 7 or finish this requirement at a later date.
- Collections – 2 hours with a maximum of 12 Scouts – offered once.
- Disability Awareness – 2 hours with a maximum of 12 Scouts – offered once.
- Emergency Preparedness – 6 hours with a maximum of 16 Scouts. Requirements 1, 2(c), 7(a), 7(b), 8(b), and 9 must be completed before or after the Midway. Scouts who attended the recent Cataloochee District Camporee on Search and Rescue will have completed many of these outside requirements.
- First Aid – 6 hours with maximum of 12 Scouts. Be prepared to discuss your knowledge of requirement 1. Bring the first aid kit required in requirement 5(a).
- Law – 3 hours with a maximum of 16 Scouts – offered once.
- Music – 3 hours with a maximum of 15 Scouts – offered once. Bring your musical instrument and be prepared to play it. If you are not a member of a band or other musical group that fulfills requirement 3.c. then complete requirement 3.b. before the Midway and be prepared to discuss the answers.
- Personal Management – 6 hours with a maximum of 15 Scouts. Requirements 2, 8 and 10 must be completed before or after the Midway. Requirement 2 takes 13 weeks so unless you have already started this, it must be completed after the Midway.
- Radio – 6 hours with a maximum of 12 Scouts
- Scouting Heritage – 3 hours with a maximum of 12 Scouts – offered once. Requirements 5 and 8 must be completed before or after the Midway. If done before discuss what you learned about your Troop history and bring a list of the individuals interviewed and discuss in detail what you learned from each interview.
- Soil and Water Conservation – 3 hours with a maximum of 10 Scouts – offered twice.
- Traffic Safety – 3 hours with a maximum of 12 Scouts – offered once.
Blue cards: Scouts should bring to the Midway a blue card for each badge to be worked on signed by their Scoutmaster or have at the Midway the Scoutmaster or an adult leader authorized by the Scoutmaster to sign blue cards before the class. The Scout should neatly fill out their name, address, city and troop number on the front side and the name of the badge and their name on the back side. Blue cards are not included in the registration fee but will be available for sale at the Midway for $0.50 each.
Life to Eagle: During lunch starting at 12 noon, Dr. Summerlin who oversees Eagle advancement matters for the Council will discuss the requirements and procedures for advancing from Life rank to Eagle rank. All Life Scouts and those nearing Life plus parents and Troop leaders to include Scoutmasters, Assistant Scoutmasters, Troop Advancement Chairs and Eagle Coaches are invited to attend. You do not have to sign up for this discussion, just show up. Registration at the Midway is not required to attend this presentation, which will be held in the café in the Founders Hall located behind the Burrell Building.
Go to the Midway Registration page. Troops use this online software to sign up for summer camp so it might be easier for a Troop adult leader to register multiple Scouts from the Troop rather than individual Scouts or their parents having to learn the software. If an individual is having trouble there may be a Troop adult leader who can provide guidance. If a troop is registering multiple Scouts, unless other arrangements are made to make a timely payment, the payment must be made online by submitting the online registration no later than noon on January 22, 2020. Only registered Scouts will be allowed to attend. Deadline for registration is noon on January 22, 2020.
Next to the Burrell Building is Founders Hall where there is a café available to sit and eat lunch. However there is no food service available at Southwestern Community College on Saturdays. There is the opportunity when you register to order a sack lunch with drink for $6.00. The sack lunch typically consists of a small sub sandwich (turkey or ham), chips, cookie and a pickle slice. Only sack lunches ordered and paid for at registration will be available. If you do not order a sack lunch, you may bring your lunch with you or several fast food restaurants are within easy driving distance.
Scouting Collections Exhibit: There will be an exhibit of Scouting memorabilia during the lunch hour in the Collections/Scouting Heritage Merit Badge Room. Feel free to stop by and browse.
Adult leader training:
There is no fee for adult Scout leaders or parents to attend the Midway and take part in any of the training listed below. Those wishing to attend the SM/ASM Job Specific training are asked to contact Peggy Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org or 210-836-6561 so that enough materials will be on-hand, but walk-ins will be allowed on a space available basis. No registration is needed for these courses.
Scoutmaster/Assistant Scoutmaster Job Specific training will be run from 9:00 am to 12:30 pm. All Scoutmasters and Assistants who have not taken this training should take advantage of this opportunity to learn about available resources.
Cub Scout Leader Training will be held from 9:00 am to 12 noon.
Eagle Coach training will be available from 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm. This session will be conducted by Dr. Summerlin who oversees Eagle advancement matters for the Council and will cover the duties of an Eagle Coach. It should be taken by those who are Eagle Coaches, those who are interested in becoming one and by anyone who is involved in guiding Scouts who are in the process of earning the Eagle rank, including parents.
Questions: Contact John Mills at email@example.com or 828-944-0361
CLICK HERE for Midway Registration and Merit Badge Selection