Midway Information Cataloochee 2018
Cataloochee District Merit Badge Midway Information
By Pre-Registration Only – No Walk-ins
When: Saturday, January 20, 2018
In order for a Scout to attend pre-registration with payment must be completed online by 12 noon on Wednesday, January 17, 2018.
Adult leader training is listed at the bottom of this page.
Check-in: 8:00 am to 8:45 am
Merit Badge sessions: 9:00 am to noon and 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm
Cost: $8.00 per Scout includes patch (+$6.00 for Lunch if you choose it). This is for the entire Midway whether taking one or two merit badges.
Pre-registration: Registration can only be made online and is not valid unless payment is included. Early registration is suggested to insure Scouts get the merit badge session(s) they want. As merit badge sessions fill up they will be taken offline.
Where: Southwestern Community College, Sylva, NC
Check-in at the first floor lobby of the Burrell Building.
Most sessions will be in the Burrell Building
Adult leader training will also be in the Burrell Building (see course offerings at the bottom of this page)
The official address of Southwestern Community College is 447 College Drive, Sylva. However, the Burrell Building is on Success Drive. Directions to the campus are at:
A detailed map of the campus is at: https://www.southwesterncc.edu/sites/default/files/jackson%20map%20with%20callbox%202017.pdf
What: The Merit Badges listed below are to be offered. Please note the maximum class size listed by each badge. Attendance is on a first come first serve basis. To attend you must pre-register with payment and select the Merit Badge(s) you will work on. Scouts should read the Merit Badge pamphlet before the Midway and bring a blue card for each merit badge signed by your Scoutmaster. Scouts should be aware that the majority of Merit Badges will be partials. Most of the requirements that must be accomplished outside of the Midway sessions are listed below.
- Bird Study – 3 hours with a maximum of 8 Scouts – offered once. If you have binoculars and a bird field book, bring them.
- Citizenship in the Nation – 3 hours with a maximum of 7 Scouts. Offered twice. Requirements 2, 3 and 8 must be completed before or after the Midway. If you complete Requirements 2 and 3 before the Midway be prepared to discuss them. If you complete requirement 8 before the Midway bring a copy of your letter and any reply you have received.
- Citizenship in the World – 3 hours with a maximum of 20 Scouts. Offered once. Bring a note from a teacher, parent or Scout leader verifying you have completed requirement 7 or finish this requirement at a later date. In making selections under requirement 4.c. it is suggested that 4.c.(4) The World Organization of the Scout Movement be selected as one of the two organizations
- Communications – 3 hours with a maximum of 16 Scouts. Offered once. Before or after the Midway complete requirements 5. and 8.
- Collections – 2 hours with a maximum of 12 Scouts – offered once.
- Disability Awareness – 2 hours with a maximum of 12 Scouts – offered once
- Fingerprinting – 2 hours with a maximum of 12 Scouts – offered once
- First Aid – 6 hours with maximum of 12 Scouts. Be prepared to discuss your knowledge of requirement 1. Bring the first aid kit required in requirement 2.d.
- Law – 3 hours with a maximum of 12 Scouts - offered once. Hopefully there will be enough time and resources to complete requirements 4, 6.b. and 7. If not, one or more may require completion after the Midway. Please review the Law Merit Badge pamphlet.
- Personal Management – 6 hours with a maximum of 15 Scouts. Requirements 2, 8 and 10 must be completed before or after the Midway. Requirement 2 takes 13 weeks so unless you have already started this, it must be completed after the Midway.
- Radio – 6 hours with a maximum of 15 Scouts
- Railroading – 3 hours with a maximum of 12 Scouts - offered twice
- Scouting Heritage – 3 hours with a maximum of 10 Scouts – offered once. Requirements 5 and 8 must be completed before or after the Midway. If done before discuss what you learned about your Troop history and bring a list of the individuals interviewed and discuss in detail what you learned from each interview.
- Soil and Water Conservation – 3 hours with a maximum of 20 Scouts - offered once. It is recommended that requirements 2.d, 3.c, 5.a and 7 be completed before this session. Bring pictures, drawings, reports and other details showing completion of these requirements. If selecting requirement 7.a. contact your local Soil and Water Conservation District for help in arranging visits. For the phone number of your local Soil and Water Conservation District email firstname.lastname@example.org
Life to Eagle: During lunch starting at 12 noon, the Council Advancement Chairman will discuss the requirements and procedures for advancing from Life rank to Eagle rank. All Life Scouts and those nearing Life plus parents and Troop leaders to include Scoutmasters, Assistant Scoutmasters, Troop Advancement Chairs and Eagle Coaches are invited to attend. You do not have to sign up for this discussion, just show up. Registration at the Midway is not required to attend this presentation, which will be held in the café in the Founders Hall.
Troops use this online software to sign up for summer camp so it might be easier for a Troop adult leader to register multiple Scouts from the Troop rather than individual Scouts or their parents having to learn the software. If an individual is having trouble there may be a Troop adult leader who can provide guidance. If a troop is registering multiple Scouts the payment can only be made online by submitting the online registration no later than noon on January 17, 2018. If payment is not received within this time frame the registration will be voided. Only pre-registered Scouts will be allowed to attend. Deadline for pre-registration is noon on January 17, 2018.
Next to the Burrell Building is Founders Hall where there is a café available to sit and eat lunch. However there is no food service available at Southwestern Community College on Saturdays. There is the opportunity when you pre-register to order a sack lunch with drink for $6.00. The sack lunch typically consists of a small sub sandwich (turkey or ham), chips, cookie and a pickle slice. Only sack lunches ordered and paid for at pre-registration will be available. If you do not order a sack lunch, you may bring your lunch with you or several fast food restaurants are within easy driving distance.
Blue cards: Scouts should bring blue cards signed by their Scoutmaster to the Midway or have the Scoutmaster or an adult leader authorized by the Scoutmaster present at the Midway to sign cards before the class. Blue cards are not included in the registration fee but will be available for sale at the Midway for $0.50 each.
Scouting Collections Exhibit: There will be an exhibit of Scouting memorabilia during the lunch hour in the Collections/Scouting Heritage Merit Badge Room. Feel free to stop by and browse.
Adult leader training:
There is no fee for adult Scout leaders or parents to attend the Midway and take part in any of the training listed below. Those wishing to attend the SM/ASM Job Specific training are asked to contact Peggy Jones at email@example.com or 210-836-6561 so that enough materials will be on-hand, but walk-ins will be allowed on a space available basis. No registration is needed for these courses.
Scoutmaster/Assistant Scoutmaster Job Specific training will be run from 9:00 am to 12:30pm. All Scoutmasters and Assistants who have not taken this training should take advantage of this opportunity to learn about the resources available to you. This is an all new curriculum that even those who have had the course a few years ago will find of value.
New Rank Requirements and Conducting Boards of Review training will be available from 1:00 pm to 2:30 pm by the Council Advancement Chairman. This is excellent for all adult leaders including new Troop Committee members and even parents of both new and veteran Scouts. The presentation reviews recent changes in rank requirements and then focuses on Troop Boards of Review but also covers Eagle Boards of Review.
Questions: Contact John Mills at firstname.lastname@example.org or 828-944-0361