The Daniel Boone Council, Inc., was organized in the summer of 1920 by a group of members of the Asheville Rotary Club, and the original charter was submitted in September of 1920. The Council was incorporated on April 4, 1932. The legal incorporated name is “The Daniel Boone Council, Inc., Boy Scouts of America.” It was incorporated in the State of North Carolina under the laws and regulations concerning non-profit organizations.
Dr. J. B. Thrall, then the pastor of the First Congregational Church, had already organized Troop 1 in 1914, before the Council was organized. A. W. Allen, a native of Illinois, came to Asheville after WWI to work for the YMCA and was appointed assistant Scoutmaster, succeeding Dr. Thrall as Scoutmaster in 1920. He then became the first Daniel Boone Council Scout Executive. The original Council headquarters were in the old YMCA Building on Haywood Street.
There were 64 Scouts in four troops at the time of the Council's organization. Within two years, the Council had spread throughout Western North Carolina to cover its present 14 county area.
In 1941, the late R. Lee Ellis, the Coca-Cola Bottling Company president, donated a 700 acre tract of land in Haywood County that became Camp Daniel Boone. Today, Camp Daniel Boone is one of the largest attended Scouts BSA Camp in the Eastern United States.
It is estimated that over 50,000 Scouts and 19,000 adults have been a part of Scouting in Western North Carolina since 1920, with over 4,200 Eagle Scouts.
The Council service area covers fourteen counties in Western North Carolina, including Avery, Buncombe, Cherokee, Clay, Graham, Haywood, Henderson, Jackson, Macon, Madison, Mitchell, Swain, Transylvania, and Yancey counties. The Daniel Boone Council has over 4,000 youth members and 1,800 adult volunteer members in the fourteen counties. There are 155 Scout Troops (grades 6 and up), Cub Packs (grades 1-5), and Explorer Posts (co-ed program for Middle and high school students with special interests such as computers, engineering, law enforcement, and medicine).
There are two camps operated by the Daniel Boone Council, Inc., Boy Scouts of America. Camp Daniel Boone is located in Haywood County, in the Bethel community on the Little East Fork of the Pigeon River. In 1941, the Robert Lee Ellis Boy Scout Reservation, on which Camp Daniel Boone is located, was purchased. The Dining Lodge was given by Mr. and Mrs. Verne Rhoades; Vance Lodge, a training facility, was given by David Vance; Osborne Lodge, the Ranger's house, by the late George Osborne; Damtoft Lodge, the health lodge, by Reuben Robertson, Sr.; Reuben Robertson Lodge, the camp program lodge, by Reuben Robertson, Sr., and friends; and Chip's Chapel by the family of L. A. Coman and friends. The lake was built by contributions of friends and named Lake Allen after the first Scout Executive of the Daniel Boone Council. Summer camps operate for nine weeks each summer, and are open for all unit camp-outs throughout the year.
Camp Daniel Boone hosts approximately 5,000 Scouts each summer from different councils around the United States. It offers different programs ranging from High Adventure, which includes whitewater rafting and kayaking, to 54-mile expeditions with backpacking at Shining Rock, mile-high camping, and many, many other fun-filled opportunities.